Friday, August 19, 2011

Goodnight Moon

Our preschool book we read this week was Goodnight Moon. Believe it or not, we don't actually own a copy of this book and had to check it out from the library. The more I read it, the more I fell in love with it, so we will definitely be buying this one and adding it to our collection. Here are a few of the activities we did to go along with this book.

I found an image of the cover online, printed it out, laminated it, and cut it into squares for Peanut to put together as a puzzle.

I printed out this sheet from Homeschool Share and had her put a square over each object the bunny said goodnight to. This site has a wealth of Goodnight Moon resources, so be sure to check it out.


She matched rhyming objects found in the book, such as bear & chair; kitten & mitten; sock & clock, balloon & spoon.


She hung socks and mittens on the line like the ones hanging in the bunny's room. This idea came from Delightful Learning.


I found these balloon cut outs at Joann's which we used for several different activities. First I had Peanut sort them into the four different colors.


Then, I hid all the red ones around the room for her to find and say goodnight to.


Then Petie and Peanut turned them all over and made it a matching game. I hadn't even planned this activity, they came up with it on their own. I love when they think of ways to use things in ways I hadn't.


I usually like to incorporate at least one other book into our week, and while I was at the library last week, I just happened to grab the book The Moon Shines Down. This book also just so happens to be by Margaret Wise Brown, so it fit in quite well. This is an adorable book based on the rhyme "God Bless the Moon". It goes around the world and talks about little kids in different countries. As we read this book, we got out our world map and put moon stickers on all the countries mentioned.


And for our little book cut out this week, we of course picked moons as our item that best represented the story.

We did a few more activities that I don't have pictures of, and I have a few things that we didn't quite fit into our week, like making cornmeal mush, and doing this really cool craft from I Heart Crafty Things. Hopefully we'll be able to get to them this weekend.


Check out these sites for some more Goodnight Moon related activities.


Linking to:
Shibley Smiles Classified: Mom

7 comments:

  1. We love this story at our house! I love all the activities you used with it! I really like your idea of using a book each week for your theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun! I like how you had her pair up rhyming objects. Love the look of concentration on her face while hanging the mittens. Thanks for linking to me, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This counts as an entry in the Summer Reading Challenge!

    I love the clothes line, the rhyming, the moons, and everything else. What a wonderful unit!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful activities!! I'm going to be borrowing some of these when we get to this book.

    Popping in from Preschool Corner

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a great set of activities for Goodnight Moon! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the idea of making a puzzle from the book cover.
    I found you at Preschool Corner, and I'm a new follower

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic post! Love the rhyming! Thank you for linking up to The Sunday Showcase.

    ReplyDelete