Monday, February 28, 2011

Schooling & Sewing Superhero Style

We started out our school week last week doing some Presidents Day activities, but for the rest of the week, I did a Superhero theme with Petie. He had a lot of fun with this one. We used the Batman Preschool Pack from 1+1+1=1 for the bulk of our activities. I also printed up some simple words for Petie to read and make Superhero sentences. Here he is sounding out See Doctor Octopus cut the power lines. For the harder words like Doctor Octopus and power lines I would use pictures for him to fill in the blanks with.

Other examples of sentences we did were:
Get the net to nab ______.
_______ is a bad man.
Go the the ______ at six.

For filling in the blanks I found images online and used them for words like Spiderman, Superman, The Penguin, Batcave, Batmobile, Bridge, etc... I had tons of simple words, so there were numerous sentence combinations. Petie does not get excited when I bring out his reading book to read, but he loved this hands on way of practicing reading.


I also made him a reversible cape using this tutorial. He has had so much fun rescuing every person and stuffed animal in the house from impending danger.


And then there's this little monkey who thinks she has superhero abilities as well. As long as she's doing this off the arm of the couch and not the top of the bunk bed, I think I'm ok with it.

We had a discussion about superheroes and the different powers each one had and so on. I then asked Petie who was the most powerful, super protector he could think of. Patty suggested God as the answer (the answer I was looking for of course), but Petie promptly ruled Him out suggesting that God couldn't be a superhero because He doesn't have a cape. I try, I really do.

No comments:

Post a Comment